Director of the establishment’s public services department, Fahd Abu Talib told local daily Al-Watan on Wednesday that only the Iraqi Shiites prefer to transport the bodies of their dead pilgrims’ home to be buried there.
He said about 47 Arab pilgrims have died so far died during the Haj including 20 Egyptians, six Iraqis, four each from Sudan and Algeria, three from Morocco, two each from Somalia, Tunisia and Syria and one each from Palestine, Jordan and Libya.
Talib said the burial procedures will be completed with the concerned country’s Haj mission.
“The families and relatives will be given the option to choose between burial in the Kingdom or at home,” he said.
He said in case the families decided to have the bodies back home, the corpses will be kept in the morgue until after the Haj.
Talib said the deaths of all pilgrims this year were natural. “The majority of them were aged people,” he added.